Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Not-Quite-Best-Ever....

This morning I made zucchini quick bread from The Best-Ever Wheat-And-Gluten-Free Baking Book, by Mary Ann Wenniger with Mace Wenniger. It was a pretty simple recipe; a grated zucchini, rice flour, oil, honey, eggs, zanthan gum, cinnamon, etc. The bread turned out OK...it tastes great but did not rise that much so it's a little dense.
I am not sure how this cookbook got the "Best-Ever" in the title. I am never entirely happy with how the recipes turn out-that is when I have enough ingredients for a recipe, since throughout the book, at least 20 different flours are used, and most are difficult to find and/or expensive.
Until I develop my own recipes and find better baking books though, I am dependent on this book for its wide variety of recipes-there an entire chapter on pancakes and waffles, and while some of them are tedious and some of them don't turn out at all, I appreciate that there are so many recipes to try out, and I learn something from each one.

No comments: